Sign in to follow this  
Berty44

The Golf Club 2 Handicap System

How is your handicap calculated?

A contentious question often in real life and here in virtual golf land. I am here to answer it as curiosity got the better of me !

The Golf Club 2 uses the USGA Handicap system.

It is initially based on the last 20 rounds you have ( that is why you can see your last 20 rounds when you go to look at your handicap sheet in game ).

One little point here is that there is a maximum stroke limit that is allowed per hole, so getting a 12 on a hole will not count. So that is why you see your Gross score and then to the right of it your Adjusted Score ( not sure if that’s what its called ), thus eliminating those mad holes. For most the scores will be the same.

You will also see on your handicap sheet the Course and Slope ratings. Course is what a scratch golfer should go round in. Slope is what a Bogey Golfer should go round in. An important figure here is 113, this being the slope rating of a golf course of average difficulty and it is used in the calculation below.

First part of the calculation is to calculate your Handicap Differential for every round played ( the figure you see on the extreme right of your Handicap Sheet ).

( Your Score – Course Rating ) x 113 / Slope Rating = Handicap Differential

The next part is that the handicap calculation takes the 10 lowest of these Handicap Differentials, because we all should have played 20 rounds at this stage. If you had less than this number then the calculation would use less ( like when starting out ). You total up the 10 lowest differentials and then divide them by 10 and then you multiply the answer by 0.96 to get your handicap.

So as you can see the Handicap system is very fair and really reflects the player’s ability, difficult to manipulate really. In fact in real life the R&A are USGA are talking about a worldwide system which I would think would be incorporating many aspects of the USGA system.

Edited by Berty44
  • Like 4

Easy to manipulate.

Go play 10 rounds of utter s**te on purpose and then play real good when it matters. :lol: 

We should all post our last 20 rounds so we can see who is really cheating @Goldenbeard

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tiernobyl said:

Easy to manipulate.

Go play 10 rounds of utter s**te on purpose and then play real good when it matters. :lol: 

You would have to post 20 rounds of utter s**te for this to work because its the best 10 of your scores so none of those 10 would count. Can't really see anyone spending 10 hours per week going through 20 rounds just to build your handicap. which they would have to do.  Also note answer below.

14 minutes ago, Joe said:

We should all post our last 20 rounds so we can see who is really cheating @Goldenbeard

No need. In game you select any player from the leaderboard, then look at Golfer Info and you can see his Handicap sheet and every round of the last 20 he has played. Very easy to see if someone is deliberately "building their handicap".

Now I'm off to the shops to buy a handbag :shifty:

:lol: 

They must have changed something in game, my HCP raced down and now it seems to be taking an age for everyone else.  

I'm bloody awful and get p**sed off with the putting. My non-raged rounds are in the 70s. The rest are between 90-100. 

Doing well in that last tourney knocked 5 shots off it. 

2 hours ago, Berty44 said:

Can't really see anyone spending 10 hours per week going through 20 rounds just to build your handicap. which they would have to do. 

You underestimate Joe's need to win!

• Like 1

Surely nobody would have their ego massaged by winning a tournament courtesy of a handicap, whether it be a legitimate one or not? :lol: 

1 minute ago, rising star said:

Surely nobody would have their ego massaged by winning a tournament courtesy of a handicap, whether it be a legitimate one or not? :lol: 

@Goldenbeard has had his unmassaged because he isn't winning, hence the threads 

I had a look though the handicaps to see if they were calculated correctly and the few I did were spot on. However I expect that @Tiernobyl should have his handicap rising pretty quickly once he does another 5 rounds as some exceptional scoring he did in Scrublands will fall out of his 20.  To a lesser extent @Goldenbeard should see his rise a little as well.

I am basing this on their current rate of scoring which is more moderate. The exceptional scoring might have been from the red tees as I don't think the system adjusts for the tees you were playing off. Let's hope they were wearing dresses !

Edited by Berty44

6 minutes ago, Berty44 said:

I had a look though the handicaps to see if they were calculated correctly and the few I did were spot on. However I expect that @Tiernobyl should have his handicap rising pretty quickly once he does another 5 rounds as some exceptional scoring he did in Scrublands will fall out of his 20.  To a lesser extent @Goldenbeard should see his rise a little as well.

I am basing this on their current rate of scoring which is more moderate. The exceptional scoring might have been from the red tees as I don't think the system adjusts for the tees you were playing off. Let's hope they were wearing dresses !

Yeah, mine has been slowly creeping back up.

I've not played off red tees, but might have done some easier courses early on! 

Yeah I never played off womens tees either min settle down :lol: 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Goldenbeard said:

Yeah, mine has been slowly creeping back up.

What a shock!

If I played a few rounds sober it might come back down again :rock: 

• Like 1

You would have to say that the Handicap system is working perfectly. Look at the winners of the events so far. 

Goldenbeard 

Tiernobyl 

Goldenbeard

Nuuthatch 

Joe 

Berty

Tunners

The wins are being spread around which is absolutely ideal. Rhino is always close and  Pacfish and Riverman will definitely make the breakthrough if they keep at it. 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this